View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 00:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
tilapia, because i saw it a few days ago and was wondering whether i should try it.

Tilapia is one of the most excellent fish on the market, and often times more affordable than some. Not only does it have an excellent flavor, but it has an interesting story as well.

Tilapia originate in the middle eastern parts of the world. Different varieties are native to Africa, India, Israel and other countries where they can live in either fresh or salt water. They are a warm water fish. It is believed that they are the fish spoken of in the Bible.

Tilapia can spawn when they are only 4" long. The mothers are mouth brooders. They lay the eggs which are fertilized, then the mother carries them into her mouth. After they hatch, the fry will occasionally swim out of the mother's mouth for feeding and such. If she feels they are in harm's way, she'll suck them back into her mouth for safety.

The mothers are mouth brooders. They lay the eggs which are fertilized, then the mother carries them into her mouth. After they hatch, the fry will occasionally swim out of the mother's mouth for feeding and such. If she feels they are in harm's way, she'll suck them back into her mouth for safety.

In commercial production, the fish are given testosterone at a young age to turn them all into males, as the males grow much faster than the females (which put their growth into reproduction). Although they can grow to sizes of 4 pounds and above, optimum harvest time is about 8" long or so, as after this period their growth slows substantially.

My husband was just researching the feasibility of starting his own fish farm when we got married. He raised tilapia on a very small scale for some time, then worked at a local aquaculture plant until they decided to close it. My mother-in-law took a lot of the fish he raised and smoked them. Oh my! Better than smoked salmon!!