View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/135/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

My induction headache lasted 3 days straight before it faded. What a pain (literally). I didn't drink caffeine at all before starting this so it wasn't caffeine withdrawal. Must have been some other metabolic issue right at the beginning.

I actually liked the salt in induction - I substitute salt cravings for sweet cravings, it felt like!

You are right - the worst part of induction was a lack of nice snacks. I did find this recipe for Cheese Straws on the Atkins site, which claims that it's OK for induction. It involves butter, cheese, egg and some Atkins bake mix and garlic to make little cheese bread sticks. They are REALLY good and satisfy my need for something slightly crisp and bready.

If you make the dough, roll it quite thin (like 5-6 mm, it puffs up a lot when cooked). I could never make my dough roll out in a nice rectangle, so I ended up weighing the finished product to figure out how many carbs. I got about 360 grams of finished sticks. They claim 1 carb per seving, 13 servings to the batch, so I divide the weight of finished sticks by 13 to get how many grams of sticks per carb. If it's around 350g per batch, 350/13= 26 grams of sticks for a carb. The way I make them, that's about three 6 or 7 inch long cheese sticks. or a handful of the leftover chunks that didn't make it to stickdom.

One warning - these tend to be dry. I've choked a few times when I was talking and inhaling while eating them - the crumbs fly! Have water on hand. They taste good, tho!