View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I didn't respond to the poll.....because I dont' have a "preferred" treatment as far as drugs are concerned.

I was put on Lipitor, then Zocor. I took the Lipitor for about 5-6 months and my cholesterol dropped like a rock....but I also had trouble with depression (NEVER had depression in my life until this!), stomach upset to the point of nausea almost constant with episodes of vomiting, memory loss....and I felt lousy the whole time. When I stopped it and my numbers went back up, my doc gave me the Zocor....and against my better judgement I gave it a shot and took 1 pill.....then vomited for 2 days straight!

Since then I've read a lot about cholesterol and I am NOT convinced it's the problem we're lead to believe it is. For those that have known plaque formation....and also those that have had a heart attack or thrombotic stroke, yes....they need to get their levels down. But I firmly believe that those of us without a personal history of vascular problems NEED cholesterol and gain no benefit from lowering our blood levels. We need cholesterol to keep our blood vessels healthy. I firmly believe now that our bodies will regulate themselves IF we're eating a healthy diet. In my case my cholesterol may be high....but I also have a family history of hemorrhagic stroke....in the case of my dad, the stroke was within a few years of going on LF (this was before statins)....and I wonder if he'd continued to eat as he always had if he might have avoided that.

So....my treatment of choice would be a healthy diet....lots of veggies and good meats. Few processed foods, and low carb. Also a MVI daily, essential oils, and lots of water.

Here's a link to a site that explains a lot: http://www.thincs.org/