View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 16:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/161/139 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default New here and confused about calories/carbs

Hi! I'm a female, in my mid forties and I've been doing Atkins since last fall. I lost 18 pounds over 5 months and then came to a screeching halt. I'm still 20 pounds above my original goal weight and am hoping to lose this through exercise.

I'm in my 4th week of BFL and starting to see some results but have continued to eat fairly LC. My weight has actually fluctuated up and down over the last four weeks but I'm not too concerned. I've added oats and fruit to my normal diet and am eating something like 35%P, 15%C and 50%F. So far, so good.

Well, I've read so many conflicting reports about caloric needs/deficit that I finally just picked one method (Hussman) and I've been basing my calories on his formulas. I have a LBM of 100 lbs. and a BMR of 1265. According to him, I should take in no more than 1400 cal/day in order to loose 1 lb/week. I had been consuming something like 1700-1900/day so it makes sense that I wasn't losing.

Problem is, even if 40% of my 1400 calories are protein, my daily total will still fall short of the BFL recommended 1g per pound of CURRENT body weight (161) unless I increase my calories again!

So, bottom line, my question is: How did you decide how many calories/protein/carbs to eat?

Radar
Sponsored Links