View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've found with a lot of the new products hitting the market, they do contain things that I'm trying to avoid (primarily transfats), but for those that are sensitive also beware of added sugars and high fructose corn syrup found in many of the new products as well; they can trigger cravings in those that are sensitive to those things even though they may be lower in carbs. The caution to read the labels before you purchase or eat one of these new products is a good one!
I've also noticed that the carb counts on a lot of the newer products are more appropriate for someone who may be in pre-maintainance or on maintainence or doesn't need to lose weight, but is just making an effort to cut their carb intake for better health. 9 grams of carb for a "low carb" muffin (that also contains hydrogenated fat)? Not for me.
I think that it's quite likely that the proliferation of low carb products hitting the market will start to slow and some of those products will start disappearing from market shelves over the next few years as the numbers of low carbers decline, but I don't think we'll ever go back to the "no low carb products" days. Those that are good, useful and fit into a healthy low carb plan will hopefully stick around. Those that aren't, I would bid good riddance to anyway.