View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 319.5/284.5/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Be careful...

Many of us are here because of our weigth and body image. Be careful in trying to assess your children.

I do believe parents should have a firm hand in guiding their children in what they eat and-- more importantly-- how they eat and approach food in their lives. But I know from experience that it can be hard, from my own position, to look at my own children fairly. I trust their pediatrician, in particular, to help me because I get so worried that my children will gain weight that I see a lot of weight that isn't there!

My daughter, who is a diabetic and eats a relatively low-carb diet anyway, is also an advanced multi-sport athlete in great shape. But when I look at her I always see what I worry is the start of her becoming obese. I was seeing this even when she went 20lbs underweight (down to 91lbs from a light-normal of 112 or so) before she was diagnosed with diabetes. I look at those pictures now and she literally looks like she is starving (which, in a weird way, she was)... but back then I saw through my own, biased eyes.