#12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:10
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Wooo,

I am sorry you are going though this. Obviously you are very smart and you are also self-aware. In my opinion, those two things mean that you have the capacity to work through these issues. On the other hand, as you write, it is one thing to intellectually say that you realize losing weight will not solve all the problems in your life. It is another thing to emotionally realize this.

I agree with Diane (Quest) that you may want to seek out professional help. The issues you are grappling with are probably beyond what anyone in cyberspace can help you solve. In my opinion, though, you probably do need to come to grips with them both for your own emotional well-being and because if you don't you risk gaining back all the weight you lost.

I would not assume on the basis of self-diagnosis that you have social anxiety disorder. There are lots of other plausible explanations (and psychological diagnoses) to explain the issues you are dealing with.

I wonder if some of what you are dealing with is the fact that for the past year your life has focused on losing weight and now that you are almost at goal you need a new focus. You're probably right that if you continue to focus on eating and your appearance with the same intensity that you have for the past year, you risk developing an eating disorder. I honestly think that if you get some guidance (and I don't think this forum is the place to get it) and focus on developing your social skills the same way that you focused on losing weight, you will make real progress. One place to look for help may be finding a therapist who deals with adolescents and young adults with ADD and Aspberger's Syndrome. I don't think you have these conditions, but I know that people with these conditions deal with some of the same social issues you are discussing and there are therapists who are very skilled with helping them work through them.

I wish you the best of luck in working through this.