View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Non-Hydrogenated Lard is available, but takes some looking. Also, from what I've heard Lard nowadays is not the same quality as it used to be. You're not going to see Lard in Fast Food fries anymore, even if they eventually admit that Saturated Fat is good for you. The primary reasons being religious. Lard is made from Pigs, and thus is not fit for Jews and Muslims. McDonalds up until about 13 years ago used Beef Tallow in the US. That was when CSPI went on a campaign to get rid of the "Evil" Saturated Fats (Lard, Tallow, Coconut Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, and Palm Oil.) They got McDonalds [and everyone else] to switch over to Hydrogenated Oils instead.

Beef Tallow would probably be the best choice. It might cause a few Vegetarians/Vegans to stop eating at McDonalds, but I don't think most of them eat there anyways, seeing as McDonalds epitomizes the Meat Industry. I remember back before they changed the fats, and their fries tasted just fine fried in Beef Tallow. They could also use Tropical Oils, but the temperatures they fry at are too high and Tropical Oils tend to be expensive nowadays.