View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Fishinmom,

I'm so glad your Dr said you can reduce your Glyberide. That's what you need to do. You probably know that glyberide causes the pancreas to produce more insulin, thus reducing blood sugars.

I think you are on the right track with the idea to drop your evening glyberide pill. (BTW what dosage is this pill? 2.5 mg or 5mg?) If it is 5mg, you can split the pill and take half at breakfast and dinner.

My dosage of glyberide was 5mg daily, split between breakfast and dinner, until I started LCing. Because I had a severe hypoglycemic incident 5 days b4 beginning LC, I made an 'executive' decision and stopped the glyberide the day I began Atkins. That low BG incident was so awful, I didn't want to go there again!!! I kept careful & constant track of my blood sugars and saw my Dr 2 weeks later to report what I was doing. (2 wks was long enough to have sufficient data to support my new LC WOL). My blood glucose #'s were similar while LCing w/o glyberide as they were while on glyberide, so she was happy.

My Dr wasn't crazy about LC, but since I was gung-ho to lose weight & my BG was favourable, she wasn't about to dissuade me. *I'm lucky to have a great woman doctor* Since then, she has admitted that I'm doing great on LC WOL, lost weight, better control of BG. Yay!!!

All of the above rambling is to encourage you to 'manage' your diabetes by reducing meds gradually and with frequent testing (4xday). You already have your Dr's permission to reduce glyberide. Of course, it is critical to see your Dr as soon as possible after tweaking the meds, so you can 'fess up and agree on the program going forward.

My thoughts on the Dr & the diabetes nurse & dietician saying NO to LC? They are WRONG and with continued success on LC, you will prove them wrong. And what if you never convince them? Does it matter? You will be slimmer & healthier with better control of your BG than you ever had before. *LOL* Brainstorm: if all diabetics lived LC WOL, would we need diabetes dieticians and nurses, or would they be out of work, except for the few teaching LC WOL as treatment for diabetes? LOL at myself now: you touched a nerve when you shared about them ragging on you about LC.

You've read CAD, now go borrow Atkins and Protein Power from the library (or buy paperback copies for $10 + taxes) and educate yourself further about insulin, carbs etc. I learned more about insulin from Atkins & PP than I ever did at the local Diabetes Clinic classes! Weight loss, better HgA1c test results, blood pressure & cholesterols will be your proof that you are eating the best way for you. You go girl!

Please report back often on how you are doing.

Ruth