View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Prof JOE MILWARD: The first law of thermodynamics is the foundation stone of our understanding of chemistry and physics. In the universe there is a finite amount of, of energy. It, it can not disappear and it can not be created from nothing.

NARRATOR: and amongst all the forms of energy in the universe one is food. We measure this energy as calories. This fairy cake is pure energy. It’s packed with a hundred and twenty calories. Add oxygen to speed up the process and this demonstration reveals just what a hundred calories really mean.

Prof JOE MILWARD: That’s a lot of energy coming out. That’s a lot of calories. And those calories are liberated in the body. They can’t disappear, they either fuel metabolism or they finish up on your hips as fat.

A couple of things about this. First, the first law of thermodynamics applies to closed systems which the body is not. Second, there is another option besides either burn calories or store them as fat; waste them. I find myself wondering why it is that these "learned experts" have not considered the possibility of that third option?
The body does not completely digest or burn all food that is ingested; a portion of it passes on through the body and is eliminated. The same thing goes for ketone bodies; if unneeded and unused, they are wasted through excretion (sweat, urine, respiration and feces) because they cannot be turned back into fat again and so the body has no further use for them. Feces, both animal and human, have been used in the past as fuel for fires. The energy is still there, but our bodies are not capable of utilizing it.
The human body is not a bomb calorimeter. I do wish all these experts would either realize that or stop trying to convince the rest of us that it is (or both).