View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 17:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Anyone who avoids all forms of carbohydrates – all fruits, all grains – will lose weight.

*Sigh*...yet another yutz who hasn't bothered to read the book. Atkins is LOW carb not NO carb. I have yet to have a day on low carb that excludes all forms of carbohydrates (and pssst...buddy...veggies are carbohydrates too which are encouraged in large amounts by all low carb plans).
And please tell me where it says in any of the recent editions of the Atkins plan that we are to shun all fruits and grains forever? Fruits are even allowed during the strict 2 week induction phase in the form of tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and olives. Berries are added back in after induction. Whole grains may be added back in later phases as the individual can tolerate.

Quote:
As far as food is concerned, the role of vegetables is as large as the role of fat in satiation. There needs to be a complete balance, some protein, some fat, some fruit, some vegetables – yes, the old food groups before they changed the chart. Eating just protein and fat will leave your body starved for the carb energy it is designed to use and for the important vitamins and other nutrients it needs from whole fruits and vegetables.

Yup...he definitely didn't bother to read word one about Atkins or any other low carb plan.

Quote:
Break down of protein is the main source of the free-radicals that cause aging and have been linked to diseases such as cancer. Too much fat still is bad for people with predisposition to heart disease. And excess processing of protein also is tough on the kidneys.

Right...guess that's why the Inuit who lived mostly on fat and protein had virtually no heart disease or cancer among them (or kidney disease, for that matter).

Quote:
If what you actually want is to get your weight to a healthy level while improving all aspects of your health while improving your appearance while improving your strength and ability to perform with a diet that is no gimmick and you can – and should – follow for a lifetime, follow The Moderate Independent’s recommendation and undertake the exercise diet.

Maybe I misread that part in Atkins that said; "Excercise. It's non-negotiable". I also must have missed the part that recommended sitting in front of the TV stuffing myself with bacon dipped in butter.