View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 00:04
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Oh, another thing I've thought about since my earlier post: the surge in popularity of various types of fasting and "cleanses". These REALLY bother me, because they're what I consider borderline disordered eating behavior, and they definitely have a lot more to do with food moralizing than nutritional science. Of course, this may not be just a modern American phenomenon -- I recall a fairly well-known book a couple years back, whose title escapes me now, making the claim that a lot of the medieval saints were actually anorexics.

Fendel: Sure, I'd agree that looking at food as one of life's little pleasures is an even healthier approach than seeing it as morally neutral. LC has turned me into a cook and a foodie, but I still have trouble thinking of things that don't fall into my "acceptable" parameters in terms other than good/bad. I recently bought and have been reading Fran McCullough's The Low-Carb Cookbook, several of whose recipes call for small amounts of sugar and/or flour, and find myself wondering if I could just leave them out. That's just plain stupid and irrational -- I am on maintenance, and a teaspoon of flour now and again isn't going to hurt me -- but it's exactly the kind of knee-jerk "carbs BAD!" thinking you're talking about.