#5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Exclamation Don't Give UP!

Its a hard adjustment to make the first time around. If I were you I wouldn't overanalyze the boards just yet. Read the book. Use it as a guideline for now. Stick to what is ok on the Induction part. Then make up your mind to give it your best go for two weeks. Don't overcomplicate it at first. I have been doing this on and off again for over a year (now its my wol). You'll learn more as you go. I say, for now, restrict the obvious carbs, read the labels, but don't freak out over hidden carbs, nitrates, or whatever. Also, pay attention to your hunger levels to make sure you aren't overdoing the protein and fat. You may not feel so great the first few days but I guarantee you, once you make it past the first two weeks you will feel great and you'll be happy with the results. After you get more accustomed to the main aspects of the diet then start looking into the smaller details like hidden carbs or other chemical fillers.

I am down to my last ten pounds and I have always kept it simple. I stick to meat (no processed meat other than sausage occasionally), cheese, and nuts (in limited quantities because of carbs). I don't do veggies (although I don't recommend this, it helps me avoid overdoing carbs and frankly I can't do without my cheese and nuts). I make myself drink a big glass of water for ever 12 ounces of Diet Coke I drink (and I am an addict). I exercise and take my supplements. Start simple - stick to green leafy salads with bleu cheese, nothing else like tomatoes or olives.

And above all, don't be too hard on yourself. You've been eating a certain way your whole life. It may take a while to retrain your brain as well as your body. If you screw up, no biggie. Just get up the next day and try again. Eventually you'll get the hang of it and I promise, it is well worth it.

Good luck!