View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:50

Plan: was Atkins now CAD
Stats: 192/166/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default RE: eating 4 times a day with gallbladder out

Your husband might find that over time his bowel problems will lessen. I had my gallbladder out in 1995 and I had that same problem also for several years. I found that certain foods were a trigger and if I ate them it was run not walk to the toilet. It was so bad that until I figured out which foods were triggers I would be afraid to eat out anywhere; it was just too embarrassing.

In a certain way it doesn't even make sense. I mean when you eat a food, it doesn't even get to that part of the digestive track for quite some time and yet somehow it triggers diarrhea so it seems to me that it must be an allergic reaction to the just consumed food that is causing the intestines to react with diarrhea. At the same time, somehow the bile produced by the gallbladder interacted before to prevent this reaction when the gallbadder was still there. I don't have a good scientific explanation for this, just my own personal experience.

I've been able to add some of those foods back into my diet without the diarrhea but each person will probably be different. Also I take a bile acid supplement when I have a fatty meal.

My suggestion to your husband would be to try and find what foods trigger the diarrhea for him. For me, coffee first thing in the morning was a major trigger; probably the tannin oils since I drink my coffee black.

Has your husband tried just eating 4 times a day or is he going by his past experience? He might find that his bowels have settled down by now and it is no longer an issue. If it flares up again, it might be what he is eating and not how often he eats.

Good Luck,
Cyndi