View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:56
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have never taken a fiber supplement and have had no problems being regular. I do eat plenty of veggies! I take a multivitamin and cod liver and borage oil when I remember to, but have gone for months without and have no cramps. I meet close to 100% of my daily vitamins and minerals without it.

Think about it? What is so important that you get from grains and what of that cant you get from better, unenriched sources?

The major nutrients we normally receive from grains are thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid (synthetic folate) and iron.

Grains are actually enriched with these nutrients.

Good sources of Thiamin in their unenriched form are ham, pork, nuts and seeds, bacon, liver, oysters, spinach, collared greens, asparagus, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, beef and chicken.

Good sources of Riboflavin include eggs, dairy, leafy greens and nuts.

You can get niacin from chicken, meats, tuna, fish and ham.

Folate is found mostly in leafy greens. Broccoli and spinach are excellent sources as well.

The best source of iron is found in red meat. Its in the form of heme-iron and very well absorbed... much better than the iron found in grains or in greens and dried fruits and nuts. If you are eating red meat you are set on iron.

I would be far more concerned about a vitamin deficiency when eating a diet high in refined carbs.