View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 08:07

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

In my home, I try to not have food be an issue. Food is something we need to be healthy and function and it can taste good, but I try to make sure it is not associated with feelings or holidays. When my son does well in school, he doesn't get a food reward, he gets praise or a new book or trading cards etc. I also try to not label food as good or bad. Some foods have more nutritional value than others and can help him grow stronger, run faster, have more energy. That is the type of info I give my son so he can make informed decisions on his own. We try to always keep lots of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, lc bread etc around for good choices.

We also keep a cabinet with what many would call "junk" choices in it. It is where the left over Easter candy already has been put, individual size bags of chips and cheetos are. It isn't off limits - if ds wants something he or his friends can get something. The funny thing is I usually have to clean the snack cabinet out every month or so and throw away most of the food, it goes bad. Since it isn't off limits, there isn't that forbidden fruit mentality. My son is 8 which makes it easier I think. If I were trying to change eatting habits already set in an older kid, I think that would be really hard.

I agree with what many others have said about exercise being the key. Even more than getting kids into sports, I think them seeing us do things is even more important. If I'm sitting back watching tv or on the computer (oops) and tell him to go ride his bike that is a very mixed message. If on the other hand I get up and say I want to go on a bike ride, would he like to come too - that is teaching exercise as fun and a part of one's life. This part takes some effort on my part, but as I get healthier it has gotten easier. Planning a family hike on the weekend or just going outside and shooting hoops with him makes a huge difference.

Each child and family is different and unfortunately what works for one doesn't always work for another. I have just been very blessed with an active husband who has been very supportive of my woe and a son that now thinks it isn't dinner if he doesn't have fresh baby spinach like mom because we are the PopEye family!

Marie