View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Speaking of that I saw some "Low-Carb" Spaghetti yesterday at Super Wal-Mart. It said on the front: 5g Effective/Net/or something of that nature Carbs.

There is a new low carb pasta called Dreamfield's that supposedly uses a special process that creates a fiber coating over the pasta that keeps you from digesting most of the carbs. In other words, according to them the "digestible carb" count isn't just subtracting the fiber grams, but their "unique" process of coating the pasta with fiber reduces the amount of carbs actually digested. The penne pasta, for example, lists 42 total grams per serving, 37 of which are supposedly undigestible, leaving 5 net carbs. It doesn't contain soy, and supposedly tastes just like regular pasta. I have read posts from low carbers who are raving about it, and claim it didn't create cravings, let them stay in ketosis, etc. The Dreamfield's website says they are getting a patent for the process they use to make the pasta. It also says they did human testing on the product and that their pasta does not significantly raise blood glucose levels. I'm not sure if I can post their website here, but if interested you can do a search for dreamfields foods. Here is some info from their website:

DREAMFIELDS pasta is lower in digestible carbohydrates. What that means is that while the total number of carbohydrates is the same as typical pasta, our unique blend of dietary fibers and proteins protects all but about 5 grams of these carbohydrates from being digested. These protected, or "controlled," carbohydrates pass to the colon where they provide the health benefits of fiber.

Most low carb pastas are made using what is a called a dilution process where they remove semolina flour and add different fillers that do not contain significant amounts of digestible carbohydrates. In some cases, these fillers make up 70-80% of the low carb pasta formula. The fillers include ingredients such as soy, wheat protein isolates and certain fibers, and they can have a negative impact on taste, texture, color and cooking performance when compared to standard pasta. In contrast, DREAMFIELDS pasta has largely the same level of durum semolina as traditional pastas, with a low level of our unique blend of fibers and proteins—no soy fillers. Our special recipe means fewer carbohydrates get digested that will increase blood glucose response. So you get the authentic taste and texture you expect from pasta, but with only 5 grams of digestible carbs.

Linda