#4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I once picked up a package of bread that claimed to be "low-carb" and looked at the label. First ingredient on the list was white flour.

Conclusion: ignore the claims and read the label

Speaking of that I saw some "Low-Carb" Spaghetti yesterday at Super Wal-Mart. It said on the front: 5g Effective/Net/or something of that nature Carbs. So, I flipped it over. First ingredient was White Flour (Enriched Semolina,) followed by Fiber Blend and Sorbitol. I looked at the nutrition label and it read 41g Total and 2g Fiber. But, then off to the side it says 41g Total - 37g "Controlled Carbs." But, they don't say what a controlled carb is. If there's only 2g of Fiber, and Sorbitol appears further down the list than the Fiber, so there has to be <2g of it. I couldn't find anything else other than the Fiber, Sorbitol, and White Flour that contains Carbs. I added up the Calories, and came out to 38g Net Carbs. So, that means they're deducting WHITE FLOUR and calling its carbs "Controlled." If you followed that logic, all spaghetti could be considered "Low-Carb," as well as all Bread, and for that matter ANYTHING.