View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 09:48
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

This such a difficult topic. I do agree that parents who understand the dangers of high carbohydrates will hopefully prevent the problems from occuring in the first place by living a low carb lifestyle. The problem I can see occuring is if these parents are too strict in their low carb lifestyle with their children. I think if children feel deprived they will rebel when they are out of the house and that can lead to problems too. It would be such a hard balance to find, I think, between keeping kids healthy by keeping sugar and starches away from them and the pressure they will feel in the world to eat all the junk that is thrown at kids and teenagers.

As for parents who don't know about the dangers of high carb (or don't believe it if they have been exposed to it) I agree with Dianne that we need mainstream thinking to change because as long as nutritionists and governments are suggesting that most of the calories come from carbs, that sugar is okay in moderation (up to 10% of daily calories I think was the latest WHO suggestion) they will never believe that carbs are dangerous to some. I'm afraid though that changing mainstream thinking will take a lot longer than we think. The overweight that try low-carbing and find it works will be convinced, but the general population will take a long time to be convinced that low-carbing is healthy unless they start to see some well-publicized and convincing studies to support it.

I think there is at least another generation or two that are going to be raised thinking that high carb is healthy, unfortunately.

Valerie