View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 07:48

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Louise, I'm in the same boat as you with my DD turing 18 this week. I think the parents who are already learning about low carb and have very young children won't have these issues. They will have learned this while their children are young enough to just naturally change the way they eat.

For those parents with children a bit older, say 10-16, I suspect the best course of action there is to control what comes into the house. So instead of buying regular soda, buy ice tea or bottled water. Instead of buying potato chips buy nuts. That sort of thing.

For the older child, like my daughter, I think the only thing we can do is lead by example, and educate them as much as they will allow. That and substituting low carb foods for high carb foods, is helping with my daughter, as she is losing weight, although very, very slowly.

I think the bigger issue is we, as a society, need to get the word out so that every parent understands how food is processed in the body. That is one subject that I never really understood until coming here and reading all of this information. Even if folks don't believe in low carb, understanding how your body processes food would eventually lead them to realize that reducing their carbs is appropriate. I just don't know how it can be addressed on a mass scale without the govenments involvement...and we know where they are on this topic.