View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

As a severely carb addicted person, I can relate to what you're saying, and I'll admit that I probably turned my kids into carb addicts also. With the best intentions of providing them with low fat diets while still allowing them to have food choices, I inadvertantly addicted them to carbs.

I don't really think they'll be able to blame us though. I mean, all of this low carb general awareness is just coming into the spotlight fairly recently even though Dr. Atkins book has been out for a long time. We didn't know about the dangers of low fat, high carb dieting until recently either, so I have to say that it still feels like we TRIED to do the right thing by our children. Make sense?

My daughter (grown and not living at home) is lowcarbing because she discovered it as a way for her to eat a LOT of food and maintain her weight (she lost 30 in a very short time and has maintained it for a year).
My two sons (one grown, one a teen) have both tried low carbing but decided pizza was too much to sacrifice. I think once they get to an age where they can decide, they will.
None of my children are obese, mostly because of how active they are, but so was I!

Experts claim that our food habits are established very early, so I think the only thing we can do at this point is try to set the best example and hope they decide to follow along a healthy path with us.
In young children though, I do think that it almost needs to be a forced thing. Knowing what I know now, I NEVER would have brought all that poison into my house, so I blame myself, but my kids don't.