#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 19:55
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Dreamfields Pasta with low digestible carbs

There's a new low carb pasta on the market, Dreamfields that I've seen at Winn Dixie and Wal-Mart Superstore. Its primary ingredient is wheat semolina flour (not soy like most low carb pastas). While a serving of the pasta has 42 g carbs and only 4 g fiber (for 38 g net carbs), only 5 g of carbs are believed to be digestible. The reason is also a synergistic effect in which the pasta's particular blend of protein and fiber keeps most of the carbs from being digested.

I'm a type II diabetic and my blood sugar would rise dramatically if I ate 42 g carbs in a setting. I've tried the Dreamfield's pasta twice and it rises my blood sugar very little. For example, yesterday I ate the pasta with tomato sauce, ground beef, and some vegetables. Assuming my pasta serving had only 5 g carbs, I ate 12 g digestible carbs in the meal. My blood sugar 30 minutes and 60 minutes after eating was 60 mg/dl higher than before I ate. I normally see a blood sugar rise of about 5 mg/dl per 1 g carb eaten, so this is consistent with my eating 12 g digestible carbs. 2 hours after eating, my blood sugar was back down to its pre-prandial level. This definitely would not have happened if I had really eaten 42 g of digestible carbs. My blood sugar readings are consistent with a serving of the pasta having only 5 g digestible carbs.

By the way, the pasta tastes great--just like regular pasta as far as I can tell. (Not that I'm a pasta expert and I haven't had regular pasta in 2 years.)

Has anyone else had experience with the Dreamfields pasta?
Sponsored Links