#15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmick
I carry glucose in my purse because even without skipping a meal it can still happen.

That's really the exact opposite of what you should be doing. This could be exacerbating your problems with low blood sugar. Taking sugar when you have a low blood sugar episode will just cause your blood sugar to raise and then crash again. It is akin to eating a Snicker bar. And doing this over and over will contribute to low blood sugar problems and your body's natural insulin control wearing out which is what leads to diabetes. I would recommend you do some research about low blood sugar and how it works (this is of course assuming that you haven't already). A good source of information is a book called The Low Blood Sugar Handbook by Edward and Patricial Krimmel. I don't recommend the diet he has in the book...it did not help my lbs symptoms at all. But there's lots of good info in there about how low blood sugar works in your body and how to keep it from happening. As I said before, pre-Atkins when I suffered the symptoms daily I could eat a piece or two of cheese and that would take care of the symptoms. But different things have worked for different people. You could try nuts or something else that has a very small amount of carbs and some protein.