View Single Post
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 09:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

So. The Egyptians that were mummified were the extremely wealthy and well to do. Even if you include the middleclass as those who were mummified, that population is well able to have access to an abundance of foodstuffs. And the cultural norm as today among non Westernized people is that wealth equates with abundance including an abundance of flesh. These mummies were not of people who were thin, as you've concurred. Thus I can theorize that these mummified people were overeaters of the abundance of foodstuffs available and in fact were still fed during any times of scarcity. In addition, though you state that sugar was not available, honey was. Honeyed foods and sweetmeats were often eaten by the Egyptians as evidenced by the dental carries found. Also Egypt was the center of trade and a conquering nation so we can assume that foods not necessary native or accessible to the general population were also available. This includes other sweets, fruits and dairy products. The wealthy also tended to eat a richer diet on a more frequent basis. So what do we have. We have overeaters of rich foods, carbohydrates and sweetened foods. Sound familiar? And it's been proven that overeating carbs and sweetened foods (junk) replaces better, more nutrient dense options. Of course this led to diseases caused by overeating of carbohydrates. Even carb types can get these diseases if they overdo or eat the wrong carbs. And they have found some thin mummies. What does that prove? Maybe those mummies were better adapted to a higher carb diet? So the fact that they found fat mummies might mean that they were not suited to a high carb diet (it does take a while for physiological adaptation to take place in humans and Egyptians were early adapters of grains), it might also simply mean that they were overeaters and abusers of carbs.

I give you the Eskimos. I'll even add the Maisi. Obviously they are protein types. But there have been Eskimos that have not thrived on the typical diet. Perhaps they don’t fit the profile?

Now I’ll pick some populations. Remember I am talking pre Westernization.

The Polynesians and the Maoris of New Zealand. Though they eat a diet high in protein from fish. They also eat a diet high in carbohydrates. Their carbohydrates are from high starch tubers, vegetables and fruits. Their diets are also high in fats. Further the Polynesians are large, you could say obese people. The Maoris are not small people either. Yet they have no heart diseases and carb-related diseases. The Polynesians, especially, don’t have any diseases of the obese. Sounds like they aren’t protein types.

Malaysians and Vietnamese. High unrefined rice and noodles, tons of fruits, veggies and seafood, relatively little meat with some access to sweets and syrups. They don’t eat high protein. No carb related illnesses. I could add a lot of other Southeast Asians and Asians to my argument.

Finally I will point to the Sikhs of India and Pakistan. They are vegetarian and eat no meat. They are a tall, slender and athletically built people. They also have no carb related illnesses and obesity is rare and almost unheard of. Of course they do eat a very varied vegetarian diet including unrefined carbs, sweets and honey but their precepts are to revere food and not be gluttonous.

We could pick and choose among the world populations and all you’d prove is my point. Peoples are metabolically diverse and the basis for the Metabolic Typing Diet is sound.