View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 07:35
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I wasn't blessed with the best metabolism, so if I stop exercising, either I have to eat practically nothing, or I have to put up with a significant amount of fat regain.

I like to cook, I like to eat, and I like to have good wine--and the only way I can maintain my weight is by maintaining my exercise. And if I want to lose, then I have to exercise 5 or 6 days a week, and I have to do it hard, in addition to adjusting my eating and drinking habits. It's not fair, but the alternative for me is out-of-control weight gain. I've had enough of that to last me the rest of my life.

That's what gets me to the gym. What keeps me going once I'm there, is that exercise feels really good once I'm actually doing it. I like setting mini-goals for my running and weightlifting, and working towards them. Running is less fun than lifting, but I put good music in my Discman and then it's pretty painless. It's such an accomplishment when I hit a fitness goal; it feels like I'm moving forward and getting to a place where I've never been before. With my weight loss goals, they still feel great, but it's more like I'm going back to a place I used to be at (in terms of scale and body size). The fitness is a new adventure.

After a year of consistent exercise, and just recently 12 weeks of punishing Body-for-Life exercise, I am in better shape than I've ever been in, regardless of how much thinner I was in the past. I'll never give it up.

Emily