View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 14:24

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I've been following Atkins for almost 5 months. In many ways I am still a newbie however I think I've got some good low carbing experience under my belt as well. I followed induction to the letter so that I could see if this would really work for me. I really wanted to give it a true chance to work as designed. I'm now in OWL and stick between 20-30 carbs per day. I've also not had an occasion where I've cheated, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Right now I can tell you I don't think it will, but I'm not perfect and who's to say what will happen in the future.

I feel pretty sad when I read "OMG, I ate a speck of X and my whole diet is ruined!" That is a defeatist attitude and probably not one that will work long term on any food plan. If there was a speck of ketchup on my lc cheese burger, does that mean I've cheated and will go on to binge non-stop? For me, no, it doesn't work that way. I know some people struggle with this way of eating. I know some people think they have to be "perfect" to continue to be on plan. For me it is about progress not perfection. If I eat 31 carbs one day does that mean my diet is ruined? Absolutely not!

I guess my point is, that if you feel like a speck of something will lead you to bingeing, avoid it. If you really need to eat a taco, why not have a taco salad without the shell. For me, it has really been about substituting. If I dying for mexican food, I order fajitas without tortillas. If the onions put me over carb count by 2-3 for the day, big deal. I ate healthy, I stayed on plan and I didn't do irreversible damage to my healthy diet.

I believe doing a clean induction was paramount to my success to date. I feel in control of what food I eat and when I eat it. That has been the biggest miracle of low carbing for me.