View Single Post
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:42

Plan: A4L
Stats: 147/138/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%
I usually refrain from entering online debates such as these, however when I read the following excerpt in an e-mail from Dr. Mercola that I received in my inbox this morning, I felt compelled to comment.

Quote:
Metabolic typing is a system that acknowledges that you, like everyone, have your own unique biochemistry and therefore your own specific nutritional needs to optimize your health and weight. It is a system that has been extensively proven (including in my own clinic), and in this book, you will learn where you reside on the metabolic type spectrum, and how to fine-tune your intake of healthy carbs, proteins and fats accordingly. Following the diet for your metabolic type alone will therefore improve your health and weight more than you can possibly imagine.(emphasis mine)

In Post #48 of this thread, Kent cited the fact of publication of his article
"Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease" in Dr. Mercola's newsletter. If Kent meant to imply this as proof of Dr. Mercola's support for his position, this was very disingenuous. At the bottom of Kent's article, there was the following note:

Quote:
Dr. Mercola's Comment:

This article came from Kent Rieske of Bible Life Ministries, which has many valuable nutrition articles that I encourage you to look through. As they say, poor health and disease can be caused by believing the worldly myths, distortions and lies about nutrition, which have deceived most people.

I'd like to add that, although limiting or eliminating grains and sugars will indeed greatly benefit most people, there is no one "right" diet for everyone. Some people will actually benefit from a high-carbohydrate diet, but the key is that the carbohydrates come primarily from vegetables, NOT sugar and grains.

So how do you know which diet is best for you? You need to determine your metabolic type as described in detail in my newest book: "Dr. Mercola's Total Health Cookbook & Program."

This book--the culmination of my last 20 years of work--is designed around metabolic typing, and will give you everything you need to know to optimize your health. Plus, it will provide you with the ability to assess your general metabolic type and give you a full plan to start eating the right macronutrient (proteins, fats and carbs) ratio for your type. It will also teach you how to "listen to your body," that is, it will teach you how to subtly adjust and fine-tune your macronutrient ratios so that you feel your best.

My purpose is not to promote Dr. Mercola. However, I respect and admire his work and I felt his position was misrepresented in Kent's argument. Dr. Mercola has developed a program which is founded upon the concept of metabolic typing. I find it very strange Kent would reference Dr. Mercola in support of his stance against metabolic typing. In publishing Kent's article, Dr. Mercola has displayed a far more open-minded view than Kent.

The originator of this thread was looking for commentary upon the Wolcott/ Fahey book The Metabolic Typing Diet. It's been almost two years since I read this book but from what I recall, the book left me feeling very encouraged and re-affirmed in choosing a low-carb diet. I tried to be very objective when doing the test and found it to be a valuable exercise in self-discovery. Of course I tested very high as a Protein type.

Contrary to what Kent has repeatedly stated, metabolic typing is NOT about giving you license to eat the high-carb foods you like. Otherwise, I'd be living on a diet of Krispy Kreme donuts and hot fudge sundaes. It's about discovering the type of foods that your body will thrive upon.

We can all agree it's not a good idea to put gasoline in a diesel engine and vice versa. So what is so difficult about accepting the idea of biochemical differences in the individual human body, a far more incredibly complex machine?

As with most things, in science there is a lag time between what is considered avant garde and what is accepted as mainstream. The scientific establishment used to dismiss Dr. Atkins as a quack. Now that there is a body of proven scientific evidence to back him up, low-carb is becoming mainstream.

I believe that as new discoveries are made in genetics and new fields such as psychoimmunoneurology, there will be scientific proof found to support the theory of metabolic typing. It's only a matter of time.

Dinosaurs on either end of the spectrum who persist in black and white, one-size-fits-all-thinking will be left in the dust.

JMHO