View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:24

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%

Kind of off on a tangeant (yeah, that's pretty typical for me), but does anyone else notice that eating out has lost some of its charm? Honestly, it's so much easier to eat healthy on this WOE at home without having to question what hidden things are added to the food, not overeating, and avoiding excess carbs. There are still so few restaurants that don't offer bread, rice or a potato with every entree. Sure, a person can ask for a substitution of extra veggies, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the portion sizes. I think most of us would be able to eat half and be done with it, but for newbies, especially, this can be a bit more difficult.

I know that I feel guilty when my ILs want to take us out to eat and the places they enjoy aren't all that LC-friendly and we suggest someplace else (we eat at Ruby Tuesdays a lot when we do go out). I know they are thinking to themselves "geeze, lighten-up a little and allow yourself a cheat once-in-awhile." But what folks who have never read DANDR don't understand is that a cheat on a ketogenic diet is not at all the same as a cheat on a low-fat/high-carb diet.

Hmmm....I think I will see if I can at least get my MIL to read DANDR this Summer. Her Dr. has recommended that she lower her carbs (she is stick thin and very active, but still insists on eating high-carb/low-fat), since she has high cholesterol and triglycerides.

</tangeant>

Kirsten