Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

Expert:Lucy Mackenzie
Date:9/24/2001
Subject:Japanese Getting Taller?

Question
Hello Lucy,
I wonder if you could help to shed some light on a subject that I have discussing with my husband..why are the Japanese people becoming taller? In the times of the Samurai, my husband says that the average height of a Japanese man was around 5'3". Nowadays Japanese are taller people. Does this have anything to do with their change of eating habits, i.e more Western and junk food?
Thanks Lucy!

Answer
Dear Jean

You are right. If you are in Japan for any length of time you will notice that the younger the person the taller and more filled out they seem to be. This is because the Japanese traditionally ate a vegetarian based diet, and especially during the war they lived on just rice and vegetables and maybe a little fish. They did not have many dairy products either to help their skeletons to grow.
These days though, being a wealthy country with access to imported meat and dairy, they are very healthy and tall. On a personal note I noticed that young men benefit from this especially well, if you get my meaning.
Of course, obesity is now a problem with young children and I think they eat way too much sugar and junk as a nation.

HOpe this helped.
Regards
Lucy
ref: http://experts.about.com/q/2884/1883748.htm