#5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default diversity is out when you're young

Quote:
And in relatively homogenous populations, like in some Westchester schools, competition runs high. "So the young people don't really see how beautiful diversity is," she said, "and they tend to all be competing for kind of the same goals."
I remember how hard it was to be an individual when I was in school. The push is to be "like everyone else" to be "accepted."

I never did fit in and it was so hard. And when I tried to express my individuality, I was ostracized. Luckily, I had parents who encouraged our individuality -- although my brothers have become great conformists. Without my parents, I don't know if I could have survived. [I found out at my 25-year highschool reunion a few years ago that certain people were very concerned about how I would turn out because my "goals" were not the same as everyone else's.]

As I have gone through my adult life, I have found people and situations that accepted individuality. But it's taken time and searching. So much of society is about fitting the norm -- in body type/shape, thoughts, and all other aspects of our lives. But in school, when you are starting to learn about yourself and life, fitting in can be the most important part of your life.

And it seems that today, the push to fit in is even stronger.