View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 18:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Quote:
My problem when I get a craving is that if the craving goes away on its own, I'm unhappy and start looking around for it.

Spoken like a true addict. Do you by chance have the other half of this amulet I wear around my neck??

There is a story in AA (my ex was a recovering alcoholic) about the difference between and addictive personality and a non-addictive personality - in a nutshell:

Two guys are in a waiting room. The waiting room has 2 exits. One say "To Eternal Heaven" the other door is labelled "To Eternal Hell". The non-alcoholic gets up and walks through the door to Eternal Hell. On the other side of the door, just waiting for him, is a big guy with an even bigger stick. He beats the non-alcoholic upside the head. The non-alcoholic comes back into the waiting room all battered up. He sits down.... and thinks about this for a while... then he gets up and goes thru the door to Eternal Heaven - and never comes back...

The alcoholic has been watching this whole thing. He too, gets up and goes thru the door to Eternal Hell. Same thing happens to him - big guy, big stick, lotsa bruises. He comes back to the waiting room and sits. And thinks. Gets up, and goes back thru the same door to Eternal Hell. Same thing happens. Wack- right upside the head. Returns to the waiting room. Sits. Thinks. Gets up. Right back thru the door to Eternal Hell.

This time the guy with the big stick isn't there. So the alcoholic goes looking for him.

It's a story all of us carb-addicts know too well.