View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 05:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default New LC Products - Some Companies Don't Have a Clue

Lou Ana Coconut Oil -- $2.76 for 31.5 ounces. $1.40 a pound beats the hell out of paying $6.85 a pound for Spectrum Naturals at the Health Food Store, which BTW Winn-Dixie has now started carrying [on the Diet Aisle.] Its almost as cheap as Lard. Now, I can finally afford to use Coconut Oil exclusively.

"Trans-Fat Free" Shortenings -- Smart Balance has one at Super Wal-Mart...I looked over the ingredients lists and it contains no Hydrogenated or Partially Hydrogenated Oils, though it does contain Vegetable Monoglycerides, which is a non-specific term for Monoglycerides of Fat derived from Fruits or Vegetables. That may mean Monostearin, which is fine. But, I hate not knowing exactly what it is. Only other problem is that the first oil is Soy, followed by Palm, Palm Fraction, and Canola if I remember correctly...so it would still be too heavy on the Omega-6s. If they'd have left the Soy [and preferably the Canola also] out, I might have considered buying some. A word of warning, Crisco now has has a Shortening claiming to have No Trans-Fats. Its a FRAUD. One of the ingredients on the list is Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil. They basically reduced the quantity of Hydrogenated Oils to a point where a serving [which is not very much in the first place] has <1g of Trans-Fat...so that they could call it 0g and sell it in tiny cans for a premium price. Same goes for Cool Whip which now boasts "0g Trans Fat," despite the first two ingredients being Hydrogenated Oils.

Low-Carb Special K -- When I went by Winn-Dixie they had a shelf marked for it, but didn't have any in stock...I'm definitely going to keep an eye out to see when they get some more in stock. I'd be really interested to know the ingredients and carb count.

Low-Carb Tortilla Chips -- We don't have the Frito-Lay on the East Coast yet, but Winn-Dixie has some No-Name Brand on their Diet Aisle. I couldn't find any Trans-Fats on the label, but I believe they did contain Sugar.

Mission Low-Carb Wraps -- Unfortunately, these are a fraud. They're made with Partially Hydrogenated Oils, which negates any value you would have got from the low Carb Count [5g net.]

Low-Carb Ice Creams -- There are quite a few new brands out there now. Unfortunately, not all of them quite grasp the concept. Carb Freedom has 5 Flavors, but 3 of them (Butter Pecan, Almond Fudge, and Mint Chocolate Chip) contain Partially Hydrogenated Oils. Mayfield ? The one in the yellow box, has a new LC Ice Cream. I saw it one time at Super Wal-Mart and haven't seen it since. So, I can't say much about it. CarbSmart has now put out Ice Cream Sandwiches. Unfortunately, not only do they contain Fructose [just like the Ice Cream] if I remember correctly, they also contain Partially Hydrogenated Soybean (?) Oil. Carb Solutions now has some "Low-Carb" Ice Creams, but they are made with extreme amounts of Maltitol, Sorbitol, Isomalt, Erythritol, and Glycerine. The last 4 I'm not too worried about, though the quantity is still rather large. But, Maltitol is as far as I'm concerned only marginally better than Sugar. Edy's has some No Sugar Added Ice Creams which are about 8g Net. I haven't read the ingredients labels, though. They are also Lowfat, so the taste may not be there. I have written to CarbSmart and Carb Freedom about their use of Partially Hydrogenated Oils...in products they advertise as useable for Low-Carb Diets.

Low-Carb Bread -- I don't remember the brand name, but there's a new "Low-Carb" Sliced Bread at Super Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, they're using Partially Hydrogenated Oils. One more company without a clue.

Low-Carb Tacos -- Don't remember the brand. It may have been La Tiera, but don't hold me to that. I was looking over the label, and there's a number of problems. For starters, they're made with "Vegetable Shortening," but don't specify WHAT type. I believe Palm and Coconut Oils as well as their Fractions could be considered Vegetable Shortening, BUT most likely it means Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. That's unfortunate because I'd really love to have some LC Taco Shells. The ingredients don't make sense. Its all the Standard ingredients: Corn, Lime, etc...No LC Ingredients at all. But, it says on the box [where it lists the grams per serving] each shell weighs about 1g, a claim I have serious doubts about...seeing as that any shell that light would have to be paper thin. But, then again who knows.
Sponsored Links