View Single Post
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 12:33

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

elmuy,
I second what you said about the Hawaii thing.
No need to apologize either.
We had 2 kids and guess what?
They are in a public school. Shouldn't be the Schoolbus free?
Maybe on the Mainland but not here in Hawaii.
We pay per Busride 35 cents per child. well, if my calculations are correct we pay $1.40 per day just for Schoolbus ride. On top of that we have to pay the luncyh tickets 20 dollars for 20 meals. That times 2 (since I have 2 boys going to school).
We had to buy a new car when we got to the Islands and only because we bought it heree at a Dealership we had to pay an additional 3000 Dollars for the "portfee". (They charge that on every new car sold here in Hawaii).
When you ask for the Military Rate they look at you, ask you if you are Stationed here and will tell you the Kamaaina Rate (Hawaii Resident) is way cheaper than the Military Rate.
Also, what you have to think about is a lot of places charge you according to Rank.
My DH is a Warrant Officer (he only makes about 200 dollars a month more than an E-8 with the same years in)
and they charge according to him beeing an officer. He was enlisted prior to ging Warrant and he used to be getting Clothing Allowence but this is no more. He has to pay out of his own pocket for uniforms. he paid over 400 Dollars for the Class Blues that he wore maybe 2x in the last 6 years.
I am glad when we leave here because I hate it. it is way too expensive and the housing stinks.
Just my 2 cents.
Ready to move on.