View Single Post
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 62
BF:
Progress: 3%

Karen- how many years did/do you live apart?

I am one that gave up my career to follow my DH. I am an elem teacher, but only taught one year before all the moving started. NJ had so many hoops for me to go through to get certified for that state, I never did get it completed. I found a job in a different field, not making nearly the same amount of money. But for us, it was more important to start building our life together. Here in TX, I've been working on getting certified here, but of course, now we're moving so it doesn't matter. I'm not sure if I'll even bother in DC, or if I'll just work on getting my NC certification current again for when we move back. DH is finishing up his masters degree now, so he'll be starting a new career. He'll only be 38 when he retires from the AF, that's too young to retire completely.

As for the base housing thing, we've never lived on base before. But with the upcoming move to Andrews, we will be because to live off base will cost us way more out of pocket than we want to spend. To buy is ridiculous in that area, especially since we'll only be there 2 yrs and for what I've seen, renting a house (we have to for the pets we have, an apartment wouldn't allow them) would be more than we'd spend on a mortgage. Plus living in base housing will enable us to save even more to put down on our "forever house". So if the housing is crappy, I probably will complain. It's my right.

I'm glad you're happy with your decisions, but don't fault anyone else on theirs. And if people have complaints, please remember you don't have the whole story of what they are going/have been through.