View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, the YMCA & praying like the dickens!
Stats: 240/228.5/125 Female 63
BF:God Only Knows!
Progress: 10%
Default Running!

Hi all, I too used to be a runner, it was the only time I was thin (118lbs). I ran in the morning at the corporate gym for 1/2 hour, then worked out later on in the afternoon with cardio & circuit training. So now, over 100lbs later, I want to run again. Everyone in my family runs, they're ALL thin & in great shape, I've always been the "black" heavyweight in my family.

So on a 235lb frame, running is pretty major, so I started with one minute walking, one minute running, 3 minutes walking for a total of 5 minutes. I did that for a week, and exactly one week later I added another minute of running. right now I'm in my third week, 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking. My legs are ok, but my breathing is what kills me in the end. Some days are definitely more energetic than others! But I do it daily, and even on days when I feel ready to move up a notch, I realize this is a lifetime change and to just take it easy and add only one minute a week.

I also do 1/2 hour on the eliptical, 1/2 hour circuit/weight training. As I get more into running, it will eventually replace the eliptical and after I've lost 50lbs I"ll start doing aerobic classes, yoga, etc.

So my advice? Take it slow, especially with running, being large can put you at more risk for injury, and also get GOOD shoes. I don't run outside at all, too many negative comments from people driving by, but at the gym no one cares what you look like or what's jiggling around as you're running, so I'm much more at peace there.

Keep up the exercise everyone, this will make the difference between the weight loss being temporary to being a lifetime committment!

C