View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/125/105 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default appetite and Lewis and Clark

Hello all, I posted a reply question under another question about peanuts last week, and I think it got lost in the shuffle, but I have got some thoughts about it.

Specifically I have been a little surprised at my appetite. During my six weeks of induction I did get the natural appetite suppressent, but immediately after adding nuts and wine I seemed to notice that my appetite has grown. I don't tend to eat between meals but when mealtimes arrive I am ready to chow down. As I said, I call it "feed the beast". Coincidentally, Lent is now going on and on Fridays I spend all day hungry. So here's a thought. I was just told that Lewis and Clark, (obviously expending more energy than I am) consumed 9lbs of meat (small game etc) per day, but in their diaries are apparently starving all of the time. I think they probably had hard tack as well, which is some kind of bread variant, but probably not much. Perhaps one can extrapolate that sticking somewhat close to induction, not consuming many carbs but not being in induction or perhaps even ketosis, perhaps the body still burns at a higher rate?

At any rate, for me this diet would be impossible without meat. I tend to starve without it. (This is coming from a twenty year vegetarian until 11/03)
I am in the last ten pound range, and so I am losing slowly if at all, but I have been varying things a bit. A week ago I just added back shredded wheat and bran cereal and whole milk. Sparingly. It's about 3/4 cup and little milk. The rest of the day is Atkins, bacon and eggs, a low carb bar, meat and salad for lunch and dinner. Well, it's working, I am more satisfied and I started losing a bit again.

I am posting this because I am curious about others that are in my position. (Last ten pounds.) Also I was wondering if anyone sees any logic in my theory about appetite. Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links