Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwhip
The cold turkey advice is obviously the best, but wonder what everyone thinks of this idea (which is what I might try doing): setting aside a day every two weeks or so where you allow yourself to eat all the crap (low-carb products, I mean) you feel like having.

This may work for some people. However, I doubt it will work very well for those of us who develop an addiction/craving for these types of foods. For us unfortunate souls, I think that going cold turkey is the only solution. I know that eating this stuff even occasionally sends me into a downward spiral.

I may be willing to try doing this occasionally once I hit maintenance. I don't usually gain weight when eating this crap, I just don't lose anything because I eat too much and get my calorie level above my threshold for losing. Also, as long as I am losing, which means limiting my calories to below my maintenance threshold, I think I need to make sure that every calorie I eat counts nutritionally. That means eating real whole foods -- vegetables, meat, eggs, cheese, poultry, fish, nuts, etc.