#9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 02:14
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thought this might help:

I crave sweets, bread and crackers. Why? And what can I do about it?

If you only recently started Atkins, your blood sugar levels probably haven’t stabilized yet. After adhering strictly to the Induction phase for five days, cravings should be under control. Occasionally, women will experience cravings just before a menstrual period. The longer you continue with Atkins, the fewer cravings you’ll have.

Skipping meals or going too long between meals may also cause cravings—one reason why eating regularly is important. Another possibility is that you may have a food intolerance, often called a food allergy. People often crave the very food they should stay away from. Foods to which people are often intolerant include milk products, peanuts, soy, wheat, yeast and corn. The only way to figure out if you are sensitive to a food is to eliminate various foods one at a time to see if the cravings abate.

Stress is yet another possible trigger for cravings. Blood sugar can become unstable when you’re under stress, which in turn leads to cravings. This is just one more reason to limit, and learn to manage, stress. Excessive caffeine can also cause a hypoglycemic response in some individuals, which can cause them to crave sweets. Adding L-glutamine to your nutrient program may help curb cravings. Also, Atkins Dieters' Advantage Formula contains nutrients and food extracts that help control appetite, including chromium to help stabilize blood sugar.

Consuming fat helps you feel satisfied, mitigating cravings. If you’re doing everything else right and still craving carbs, eat half of an Advantage® Bar, a few olives, some cheese, avocado or some cream cheese in a celery stick. Most important, don’t give in to cravings. Doing so will only result in more cravings and more cheating—and inevitable weight gain.

Aside from that excerpt from Atkin's site, there is another pill that you can take to cut out the cravings. I can't for the life of me remember what it is, but if you post about it, I'm sure someone will know. It seems like it just came out this year and it's supposed to cut them completely out. I have to say, I have noticed that when I eat the candies....I just crave more.....which unfortuately means that I have released insulin. Not a good thing. As good as they are, and as important that I think it is to have a treat once in a while, I think it's bad to have these around on a regular basis. A few things I would suggest are:

1. Eat enough calories (should be between 10-12 times your body weight).

2. Eat smaller more frequent meals. This will help stabilize blood sugar...therefore less cravings...it works I promise.

3. Eat more fat. Also helps you fill up faster and cut cravings.

4. Drink, drink, drink....water, green tea. Trust me, the more you drink the more you will feel like a water logged balloon!! You won't have any room for food. Green tea is supposed to boost your metabolism....drink 7 glasses a day. Drink it on top of all that water you're supposed to get and you'll hear that stomach sloshin!

5. Throw the bad food out....or have your loved ones hide it really well. Out of site, out of mind. And get rid of any hc foods in your house. No one in your house needs them....and loved ones should support you in this. You wouldn't keep alcohol in the house of an alcoholic. Same for us. If you know it's a problem, get rid of it. I've gotten rid of my kids junk too. It's just leading them to a healthier life.

6. Get that l-glutamine....it's supposed to really help!

7. Make a goal, like 10 lbs, whatever, and when you reach that goal, give yourself an lc treat. But just one. If you have a b-day coming up, make sure that the cake is small, or go out to eat. For people having a hard time saying no to sweats, the best thing you can do is make sure when you've had your treat that there are no leftovers to binge on. Remember it's important to celebrate life and still have something you enjoy once and a while. One treat a few times a year never made anyone fat. A whole lifetime of treats have gotten us to this point. Enjoy yourself, but know when to limit yourself.

8. Come back on here any time you need help.

Good luck to you!!! I know it's hard....I go through it too!!!