View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sugarpie...part of being human (and therefore less than perfect) means that we will all make less than great choices from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it, but do make an effort to learn from it.
One strategy I've used to prevent eating something I shouldn't without thinking is to physically move the bowl out of reach; that way, I would have to consciously get up and go over to it to eat it instead of putting it in my mouth absent mindedly in a moment of distraction (old habits are so hard to break, aren't they?).
What damage is done? Hard to say. You know what your blood sugar looked like an hour after eating the jelly beans and what it looked like this morning. How long it stayed high is probably more important than how high it actually got, although I do strive to prevent spikes like that. There are times, though, like when you are sick that your blood sugar is going to spike despite your best efforts. The best we can do is try to keep those spikes to a minimum and get the blood sugar down as quickly as possible when they do occur (going for a brisk 30-45 minute walk after eating those jelly beans might have helped with that).
You might also find that your blood sugars are a little "trigger happy" for the next few days as your body settles down again in that even eating as you should they may go higher than you would expect. You may also find yourself craving more in the next few days after that jolt of sugar.