Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
If a plan no longer works and the deprivation makes you go nuts, it might be time to re-evaluate things. I'm not advocating "plan-hopping", but if you've been stuck for months like I was, I see no sense in banging your head against the wall! One size doesn't fit all, no one plan "fits" everyone. I was feeling so deprived by not having certain foods, like grapefruit and apples that instead of ice cream, I'd fantasize about a nice piece of FRUIT!

I agree. That's why I have never done Atkins induction -- I couldn't entirely give up fruit. I have done on-going weight loss all along. If that has slowed me down I'll live with it, because I have been able to happily stick with this in the long run, and that's what counts. I eat at least one serving of fruit (usually berries) a day and in the summer when there is so much good fruit around, I often eat a second serving (a small peach or nectarine or something similar). Fruit can certainly be incorporated into Atkins on-going weight loss. I also occasionally (about once a month or so) eat whole grains such as brown rice. We all need to figure out what works for us. What I like about Atkins is that once you get past induction (which I just skipped!), there is a lot of room for flexibility.

I can't eat any artificial sugar, however, and still lose weight. I think this is probably because I am already at my carb limit from the fruit. Almost all the foods with artificial sugars contain additional carbs. I'd rather eat whole, natural foods anyway, so I don't miss the lowcarb ice creams, candy, etc.