Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 10:05
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheHill
I know obsession behaviors are bad. There's two ways to handle them, though - avoid the situations that cause them or learn to handle the situations in a non-obsessive manner. For me, avoiding never made scale fear or checkbook balance fear go away - it just shoved it to the back of my head instead of the front of it. That's why I'm use the other method.

Different things will work for different folks, of course.

Lynda

I totally agree with Lynda. I got to over 350 pounds while not weighing for years. I'll never make that mistake again! However, I don't obsess about every little swing on the scale. I know that my weight normally fluctuates two to three pounds, so if I see a two-pounds upswing one morning, I chalk it up to normal fluctuation. On the other hand, if I see an upswing of more than three pounds I know that something is seriously wrong and it clues me in to immediately sit down and assess what I have been doing differently. While I weigh every day, what I focus on is my average weight -- not the daily ups and downs.

You said that one reason you want to avoid the scale is that you are depressed about how much you weigh. For myself, confronting that number on a regular basis is important to keeping me motivated. I have lost so much weight that I get compliments on a daily basis about how good I look. I think it would be easy for me to get complacent about where I am now if I didn't have to confront the number on the scale each morning that tells me I am still fat.

I realize that the opinion Lynda and I stated is unpopular in a lot of areas of this forum. However, we have both been successful in losing a lot of weight, indicating that it does work for us. At the same time, we are all different. You need to figure out what works for you.