#12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:20
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
You should see the crap in Fish and Bird Food. I remember when I was a kid that we would NEVER feed our fish those colored flakes, because just a little too much and you'd find them the next day bloated, and floating upside down [DEAD] on the the top of the water. I got a look at the label recently and it was mostly Grains, with some Sugar/Sugar Alcohols, and lots of Added Vitamins. I'm still trying to figure out where a fish would get Enriched Rice in Nature...

That was enough to make me nervous. I have a huge aquarium with about 250 cichlids and all they would eat are these special colored flakes (for cichlids). I tried changing their food a couple of times and they wouldnt eat it.

Anyway here are the ingredients

whole salmon, halibut, black cod, whole herring, seafood mix (including krill, rockfish, shrim, squid, clams, salmon eggs and octopus) wheat gluten, fresh kelp, spirulina, soy flour, lecithin, astaxanthin, vit. C, natural and artificial colors, Vit. A, D, E, K3, B1, B2, B6, B12, Niacin, Panothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Ethoxyquin and naturox (natural mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) as antioxidants.

I dont know what the need to add more color to it would be, I imagine all that fish has colors of its own and the salmon prolly makes the pink flakes. It seems that even my fishies are eating low carb lol. Thank goodness there are no SAs in it! I suppose the could live without some of the stuff like soy flour and wheat gluten. I doubt there is another food without that stuff. I will look, but this doesnt seem too bad, and I dont think any of my fish have died from the food, though they sometimes die from one fish biting another ones head off. Very entertaining to watch.