View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 15:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well, I read the book. OK, I looked through the book, read parts of it. If you're interested, I wrote about it in my journal.

As I said there, I plan to continue with CALP but for reasons of my own, not those of the authors (who are not medical doctors by the way, despite the fact that they use "Dr." in front of their names and they are photographed on the front cover in white lab coats). I don't care that they are PhDs and not doctors. Doctors certainly don't know everything, but the PhD doesn't impress me either. I've known plenty in my day who are dumber than mud.

Their "science" is shaky at best, in my opinion. I believe their plan will work (and certainly has for a lot of people), but not for the "scientific" reasons they cite. I still have a hard time believing that after your high-carb reward meal that your body will only release a tiny amount of insulin because that's what it "remembers" releasing at your last two meals. Has anyone tested their blood sugar to prove this? It's a chemical reaction, right?

Whatever.

I don't know if we'll be going out to dinner tonight after all. The other day DH was brushing his teeth in front of the bathroom sink and one of the kittens was right behind him. When he turned, she got caught up under his feet and by trying to avoid stepping on the cat, he lost his balance and ended up falling weirdly into the bathtub. We have a very deep bathtub, and he ended up wrenching his back when he fell and then caught himself with one arm extended. He had been doing ok, but today he's walking like he's in pain.

Poor guy. He's been injured so many times by our cats. When we had our first cat, Gradycat, DH was chasing him up and down the stairs. Now, he'd never had cats before, so he didn't know that when chased, cats tend to just hunker down and let whatever is chasing them go right over top. Well, that's what the cat did halfway down the stairs and DH went tumbling over top. Dislocated his shoulder.

(What was funny about this was that the next morning, half a dozen people at work brought in the same comic for me -- a man was lying in traction in the hospital, bandaged from head to toe. A woman was standing by the hospital bed holding a huge fluffy cat, saying, "Now you apologize to Fluffy for tripping over him on the stairs!")

Another time, DH was benchpressing a lot of weight (so he's on his back). Right when he was starting to bring the weights back down, Gradycat jumps on his chest. It startled him and he started to lose control of the weights. He managed to get them down without injuring the cat, but he mangled his wrist so much that he couldn't move his fingers and he had no feeling or sensation in his fingers. He went to the hospital (he was working as an EKG tech at the time) and a doctor friend sliced open his wrist to determine whether there was nerve damage or anything else seriously wrong. There wasn't, thank goodness.

Those are just two of the many examples. It's a good thing cats have nine lives. I just hope DH does, too!