#14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 22:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerChik
Again, whatcha got here is another person's point of view. That's allowed, right? Thanks a bunch!

Nobody said you didn't have your right to a point of view. They disagreed with what you believe. That's okay, isn't it?

Quote:
Exposure to these very real issues is ultimately safer and more realistic than attempting to "protect" kids by putting blinders on them. Kids are tough, you know.

But -- and you don't seem to understand this -- educating other people's children isn't up to you or to PETA. PETA has neither the right or the responsibility to educate other people's children. Especially in such a graphic way, but in actuality, not even in a dry and sedate way.

If some moron tries to hand my little girl a bloody chicken bucket in some misguided attempt to "educate", I will act most unpleasantly. If I want to do it, fine, but that's up to me. Not you. Not PETA.

Quote:
Ok, PETA goes a little ape-sh*t sometimes, for very good reason. It DOES get people's attention and that's what they're TRYING to do.

Actually, to be blunt, I think their tactics are more or less masturbation. They don't convince anyone who doesn't already believe the way they do. It's about shock value, not winning over people. This isn't even the most outrageous thing they have ever done. It's all stupid because none of it advances their cause. A middle of the road person sees it and dismisses them as radical kooks.

(Which is a very solid conclusion).

Quote:
If anything, their displays cause kids to ask: "Mommy, Daddy - why are they doing that?" Then, MOMMY and DADDY, it's YOUR job to explain and enlighten YOUR KIDS about the issue.

You don't get it. It's our jobs to decide whether or not the issue is ever brought up in the first place. If PETA wanted to present a rational case to my kid, I might let them. I want her to think for herself. If they want to hand her a bloody chicken bucket, then I don't want them near her.

Quote:
Wouldn't you prefer that there be environmentally conscious, cruelty-and-war abhoring individuals running the show here on earth by the time we're in our golden years? I know I would.

But that ain't up to you to decide, and it's certainly not up to PETA to decide. Parents make those choices, and we may have a different viewpoint than PETA's. If that's okay with you.