Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
bvtaylor -

I know that atkins is very customizable carb wise, which is the reason i base my plan on atkins. In atkins for life he does say there are many different carb ranges, however dr. atkins does also seem to imply the very low ranges of 40-60 is where most people should fall. I just don't agree with that.

Whether or not i agree with it is in theory irrelevant, since the theory is that on atkins you will eventually eat as many nutritious carbs as you can metabolically handle. If this were true, I wouldn't have a problem, but the thing is it really is not. The reality is quite different. When people start adding back carbs, they notice they gain several pounds at once. This glycogen weight gain causes an immediate unwarranted freakout, and a false belief that they can't raise their carbs above a ridiculously low level without gaining weight.

That is very interesting. I've got a long way to go yet until I get close to maintenance, but I will note that Dr. A does suggest a very gradual carb increase (I think it's about 5 net g per week) that starts long before maintenance goes into effect. He also stresses taking a long time to go through the stages. I suspect this is in part to prevent what you are describing; i.e., both triggered cravings as well as a sudden misconstrued weight gain. Our bodies fluctuate in weight quite a bit anyway, so I have thought it would be very difficult to find my "magic" carb numbers.

I know there's a lot of heated discussion as to the "ideal" amount of carbohydrates and what is "essential" to a healthy active lifestyle, and I tend to think from what I've read that there really is no magic one-size-fits all number for carbs, fats, or otherwise, although different lc plans try to do just that. After all not everyone in the world needs to cut down their carbohydrates, but those of us who have had a lifelong struggle with them need to and must.

I think a lot of figuring an ideal diet is based on sufficient vitanutrients as well as calories and carb/protein/fat balance that suits the lifestyle and constitution of the individual (which of course varies tremendously).

And after all someone who is 6'2" tall and sedentary might hypothetically eat more than someone who is 5'3" and active without becoming overweight, but it doesn't mean that the 5'3" person doesn't have the same appetite, just because they are shorter.

My 4'11" grandmother wore size 9 shoes, so she had a really big frame for someone so short. Her brothers were all over 6" tall. She was 135 lbs and had a medium figure most of her life.

It's all quite relative.