#18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:10
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Members Mark Canned Chicken

I tried Sam's Club's Member's Mark canned Chicken for lunch today in my salad. Although there are no additives, it is a bit dry... canned salmon is like that as well. It screams for mayonnaise, or potentially to be stewed up nicely with some cream and veggies. But it does have a real chicken chunk texture and flavor.

Although similar to the meat found in beef stew or chicken noodle soup, this type of meat is very much more dry (probably due to no additives and thorough cooking), but it does taste like boiled chicken (which I make sometimes... but I cook it to tenderness instead and use skinned leg quarters).

Normally what I do with meat for grilling, dicing, or chinese food is purchase a large tray of chicken breasts or steaks from Sam's club. Then I get out my George Foreman grill and grill 'em all up to the juiciness and seasonings (or none) that I like best (usually just barely cooked through but grilled nicely on the outside). Then I freeze in packages of 3 or 4 what doesn't get eaten for dinner. That way, I have a nice instant grilled piece of chicken or beef to dice up in a salad, make stir fry with, or to eat as a steak with melted cheese, et al. It lasts a long time in the freezer if it is frozen in a ziploc-type bag with the air pressed out.

I do the same sort of thing with chicken wings... I buy a 4-5 lb bag of wings, defrost them in the refrigerator, then use a big pan to fry 'em up with grapeseed oil and hot sauce, then put 6-8 segments in a baggy and freeze them.