Thread: Is It Just Me?
View Single Post
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This is a healthy discussion to have, and I should edit some of what I've said to include a healthy dose of "IMO."

I do believe that there are physical factors that contribute to obesity. That's more or less indisputable, and they are uncovering stuff it seems every year that helps us understand the contribution these factors make.

But that's what they are: contributions.

The prime cause is that pesky law of thermodynamics. If we take in more than we use to live, we get fat. And every one of us is absolutely in control of that. It's more difficult for some than others. It's not even an issue for many people. But for us, for those who are more than 100 pounds overweight, we cannot allow these contributing factors to prevail. It's our responsibility not to. It's our fault if they do.

Blame. Fault. I am of the opinion that I bear it. It's not a badge of dishonor since all of us our flawed people. Reaching out and embracing that responsibility is what's allowed me to progress. Maybe it's just worked for me, but I feel that taking that control is precisely what overweight people need; that we by nature are people who let things happen to and around us. I have had to reject that way of thinking in all things.

So when I speak of blame, perhaps it's best to frame it as responsibility. Forget what made us fat, and work on what will free us from fat...knowing that from the moment we decide to fix it to the moment we fail or succeed, that nobody's in charge of the boat other than us.