View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:59

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks for mentioning the low carb tips at the top of the page. I hadn't noticed it.

As for avoiding sugar alcohols, I know I just cannot. I am not ready to forego candies and cakes, especially chocolate. Not all -ols are equal by a long shot. I have found some -ols that are good to me and if I stick to them in moderation (a serving a day) I do fine. Otherwise I get my sweets via fruits, which definitely have to be eaten carefully too. Any way, I know how people feel. It is absolutely frustrating when you stall, and the fact that companies are taking the low road to low carb profits *really* pisses me off.

But I vote for keeping your head and working through the sweets. Sugar alcohols are not the same. They really are not. If you are the kind of person who can tough it out without them at all, all the power to you. But if you need sweet treats in your life, do not think you cannot succeed at your diet. You can. It just takes more knowledge and trial and error.

As far as the companies go, put your money where your mouth is, literally, and buy only the stuff that satisfies your sweet tooth but doesn't sabotage you. Most likely it will cost more, but if we put our money there, the industry will have to change. Either the ingredients will get cheaper because they will get more common, or companies will have to accept lower profits (typical when the consumer is educated about what they are buying).