View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:49
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Addendum to my last post: I just want to make it clear that I am not recommending that most people cut calories. I lost about 80 pounds before I had to really worry about calories (although I have always been conscious of stopping eating when I am no longer hungry). However, for people who have been low carbing for a long time, it is one possible way to shake our bodies up, and from my perspective it is healthier than fat fast or egg fast or something like that. I am very careful, even when cutting calories, to get enough protein and get my veggies in. If you don't get enough protein, you risk burning muscle instead of fat and in the long-run that is extremely harmful.

The reason I only do it for a couple of days at a time is so that I don't either send my body into starvation mode or set myself back up for rebound bingeing. The point at which either of these things will happen is different for everyone.

Again, I don't recommend serious calorie cutbacks for most people. However, I think it is worth trying if you have been stalled for a couple of months. My advice if you are stalled for a couple of weeks is to just hang in there, look carefully at what you are eating (any signs of carb creep?), look carefully at how much exercise you are getting (remember, Dr. Atkins says you are not doing Atkins if you don't exercise) and see if your weight will start moving again on its own.

The advice I am giving here is only for long-time lowcarbers who have found that it is no longer working as well for them as it did in the beginning.