View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

This issue seems to come up periodically in the TDC. Click here for a thread Quest started on the same topic a month or so ago. The thread Quest started references a thread I started previously.

I have had some success lately with periodically cutting my calories way down for three or four days at a time, to the point where I am moderately hungry most of the time (but not starving). I have lost six or seven pounds in the last month by doing that, after stalling for over two months. However, I can only do that when my life is running really smoothly, which is not the case most of the time! Otherwise, walking around moderately hungry is too much of a strain.

I've been low carbing for about 20 months and have gone through several two month stalls. I do think that the longer we do this, the more calories count and it's not just because we are getting smaller -- it's as though our bodies overcome the lowcarb metabolism advantage. I have not found focusing on cutting carbs back particularly effective (although my carbs are not particularly high either). The only thing that works for me at this point is cutting back calories and increasing exercise.

Good luck!